Seasoned Chief Executive and Senior Manager
An experienced, results-driven chief executive adept at business management with 25+ years of comprehensive experience in both public and private sectors with an emphasis on association management, information technology, and entrepreneurial ventures. Focused on developing exceptional relationships with clients, peers, and volunteer leadership to develop sustainable business solutions and achievable strategic plans. Proven problem solving and analytical thinking skills and ability to adapt to changing industry landscape. Successful at integrating people, products, projects, and processes while maintaining focus on the larger strategic picture. A seasoned communicator and team player with commitment, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
Park City Board of REALTORS®, Park City, UT (February 2019 to Present)
Multiple Listing Service Director
- Manage the day to day operations of the Park City Multiple Listing Service.
CONSULTANT – Procuring Cause Advisors (March 2018 to Present)
- Author, pundit, commentator, observer – Procuring Cause blog at www.procuring-cause.com
- Advisor to industry groups – MLSs, trade associations, brokerages, product vendors and affiliated organizations. <Menu of Services>
REALTORS PROPERTY RESOURCE (Natl. Assn. of REALTORS®), Chicago, IL
VP Business Development October 2015 to February 2018
- Managed team responsible for implementation and delivery of the Advanced Multi-List Platform™ (AMP™). AMP is a rearchitecting of traditional MLS computer technology to allow open access to the database by multiple applications thus offering agents and brokers the long-sought “front-end-of-choice.”
- Created and presented funding pitch to parent association resulting in $7 million funding commitment
- Made scores of “pitch” presentations to MLS leaders resulting in advance commitments from 36 system managers to consider replacing current system
- Stimulated industry innovation sufficient to induce major technology providers to modify product offerings to mirror AMP architecture to be competitive
- Project discontinued due to budget and strategic goal realignment by parent organization
CONSULTANT, Seattle WA July 2013 to October 2015
East Bay Regional Data Service, Oakland CA
- Served as Interim-CEO
- Managed team of nine for four months while organization searched for permanent CEO.
Southwest Illinois Regional Multiple Listing Service
- Provided business process reengineering analysis and plan as part of a broader strategic reimagining of the full service
Regional MLS of Portland OR
- Presented overview of industry challenges in preparation for strategic planning
Southeast Valley Regional Assn. of REALTORS
- Conducted strategic plan review and planning session setting five-year goals and objectives
Placester (tech start-up)
- Represented company at national convention and introduced principals to over 20 MLS CEOs to interest them in considering service for their organization.
PRANIX (Consulting practice)
- Researched and wrote (ghosted) Customer Service chapter of Council of MLS Best Practices manual
REIN – Real Estate Information Network, Virginia Beach VA
- Facilitated strategic planning review and planning session for board of directors.
RealSure Inc.(Consulting practice)
- Researched and wrote (ghosted) Rush to Online Dominance chapter of annual Swanepoel Trends Report, a leading highly-respected and widely-read industry report
- Served as interim CEO to major market multiple listing service while search for permanent CEO proceeded
- Authored and published numerous white papers and thought pieces on state of industry technology
- Spoke at numerous industry conferences on need to expand innovation in MLS technology
- Provided consultation, strategic planning, and keynote speaking to stakeholders in the real estate industry
ZILLOW, Seattle WA
VP Partner Relations February 2012 to July 2013
- Created positive and ongoing relationships with industry partners including associations of REALTORS, Multiple Listing Services, and other stakeholders
- Secured direct data feed licenses from MLSs
- Analyzed Zillow’s relationship with MLSs and made recommendations for changes to on-line portal to answer industry objections
- Spoke at industry conferences and appeared on panels to discuss Zillow’s relationship with the industry
ARIZONA REGIONAL MULTIPLE LISTING SERVICE (ARMLS), Tempe, AZ
Chief Executive Officer October 2007 to Feb 2012
ARMLS is the Realtor-owned regional Multiple Listing Service serving 30,000+ agents in the Phoenix metro area.
- Managed strategic plan, annual budget, all personnel matters, legal affairs, shareholder relations, and company performance
- Transformed ARMLS from a low-cost minimum-service provider into a competitive, full-service information and technology support system for subscribers
- Raised revenues from $4 to over $10 million per year, including nearly $2 million in non-dues revenue derived from non-MLS product sales and enforcement efforts
- Expanded staff from 12 to 53 to provide enhanced services in customer support and training, business and product development, marketing and communication, and staff four regional service centers
- Spearheaded consolidation effort to merge 17 MLSs into a single statewide system
- Expanded and managed communications plan to position ARMLS as the “Voice of Real Estate for Arizona”
RELATED INDUSTRY ACTIVITIES
- Member, National Association of REALTORS® Multiple Listing Issues and Policy Committee (2008-2012). Led initiative to change an ill-considered mandate allowing banks to dictate commission terms in short-sale transactions. Was successful in convincing the committee to change the rule and make its adoption optional rather than mandatory.
- Member, NAR IDX in Social Media Task Force (2010-11) to propose changes to the model MLS rules governing display of listings in social media contexts
- Member, NAR President Advisory Group on Franchisor IDX (2011) an extension of the Social Media task force specifically charged with reviewing rules governing listing display by franchise organizations
- Member, NAR Federal Technology Policy Subcommittee
- Director, Council of Multiple Listing Services (CMLS), 2009-2012. CMLS is the largest trade association focused solely on the business issues of the MLS industry.
- Interim President, MLS Domains Association, a non-profit organization dedicated to acquiring and managing the top-level domain “.MLS” for the mutual benefit of all participants in the real estate industry
- Member COVE – Cooperative Ventures (2007-2012) think tank of CEOs from 22 major MLSs who meet four times annually to discuss industry issues and trends
- Member, Realtor.com Executive Advisory Committee (2010-2012) to offer opinions and guidance to Realtor.com and Move, Inc. on how to improve their service to agents and the consumer public
- Member, Realtors® Property Resource (RPR) Advisory Board (2011-2012) to offer opinions and guidance to RPR management on how to improve their service to agents
- Regular invitee to appear as the real estate subject matter expert explaining market trends and economic issues on local television news and talk radio programs including weekly real estate talk program “Real Estate from A to Z” on the Financial News Network affiliate KFNN, Phoenix.
- Named to the Inman News 100 Most Influential Real Estate Leaders in 2011 and again in 2013
METROPOLITAN REGIONAL INFO. SYS. (MRIS), Rockville MD
Vice-President Customer Care February 2001 to October 2007
(Previously Chief Marketing Officer)
(Previously, Director of Marketing and Product Management)
(Previously Manager Product Planning & Implementation)
MRIS is the Realtor® owned regional Multiple Listing Service serving 60,000+ agents in the District of Columbia and parts of four surrounding states
- Planned both long and short-term strategies, developed policies, managed sales and customer relationship efforts, and implemented new products and services for Realtor® member agents and brokers
- Supervised a staff of 70+ in four departments: Sales/Marketing, Education, HelpDesk (Technical Support), and Customer Satisfaction with annual budget more than $6 million and annual revenues from premium product sales of $2 million
- Created and implemented new product management processes to bring services to market faster and less expensive
- Orchestrated multi-departmental involvement in major new service rollout within first ninety days of tenure
- Determined customers’ needs, defined product positioning, competition, and requirements, and investigated strategic relationships with third-party providers to make buy versus build decisions on major initiatives
CARL M. FREEMAN & ASSOCIATES, Potomac, MD
Director of Product Management August to December 2000
Freeman Golf Solutions was a startup venture by a traditional asset based real estate management and development firm to expand into an Internet-based service industry – golf course management software development. Firm ceased operations and liquidated five months I joined.
INTEREALTY, CORP., Vienna, VA
Director Marketing and Product Management February 1997 to August 2000
(Previously Product Manager)
Interealty was the second largest provider of Multiple Listing Systems (MLS) and real estate software to the real estate industry nationwide.
- Determined customers’ needs, defined long-term product strategies and requirements, developed tactical third-party alliances, and supported the sales effort through effective marketing communication, direct customer contact, and presentations
- Coordinated interface with outside technical consultants and software vendors and developers
- Planned and executed trade show and promotional events, provided sales support and operations assistance, including internal and external presentations
- Supervised a staff of twelve, including product managers, project managers, account supervisors, marketing communications specialists and a staff graphic artist/designer
- Managed development and marketing of two industry-leading desktop software products, Altaira and MLS Passport, including product design and functional specifications
United States Army National Guard (Ohio and Indiana) Mar. 18, 1970 to June 17, 1976
Honorable discharge at rank of Staff Sergeant, with positions that included Company Clerk and Public Information Section Sergeant, office of the Adjutant General.
The Ohio State University, Columbus
Bachelor of Arts in Speech/Telecommunications, August 1969, minors in Mathematics and English